Last Minute Checks
- Even if you uploaded successfully on DS-160, please bring one photograph 5 X 5 cm, in color, and with a full white background, full face; Photo Requirements
- Please note that this requirement is very strict and any other photo size will not be accepted and may prolong the application process extensively or lead to postponing the appointment.
- The application form DS 160 confirmation page.
- Please staple the pink postal payment receipt at the bottom left corner of form DS-160 confirmation page.
- As the form DS-160 is completed online and generates a barcode on the confirmation page (which is needed to scan in the information), it is crucial for this barcode to be printed clearly! (no fragmented barcodes are accepted and will lead to postponing an appointment!)
- Every applicant should bring their individual stamped and addressed return envelope B5 (Sfr. 6.00 suggested for registered mail). If applicants prefer to pick up the passport(s), this would need to be stated clearly in the beginning of the data intake process!
- Supporting documents for individual visa type.
After security check, everyone will need to stand in line in front of the ‘greeter desk' and have their documents individually checked and then approach one of the three data intake windows (windows 6, 7, and 8). The application forms will be entered at these data intake windows and they will be asked to place four fingers of the left hand, the four fingers of the right hand and, finally, the two thumbs together straight on the fingerprint device. Thereafter they need to have a seat in the waiting area to be called by the consular officer for the final interview.
No electronic devices, backpacks and suitcases allowed in the Consular Section in Bern
In order to ensure everyone's safety and to ensure that security screening does not delay admission to the Consulate, no electronic devices (including phones) may be brought into the Embassy or Consulate. Backpacks, handbags and suitcases are not permitted. Security personnel will not store items for applicants. We therefore suggest that all such items be left at home, in a locked car, at a locker at the train station, or with a friend or relative who remains outside the premises.
We encourage visitors to bring only necessary documents with them.