Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Renewal by Mail

Application for Passport by Mail

As an American citizen resident in Switzerland you may apply for a new passport entirely by mail if you fulfill all of the following:

  • You must have been the bearer of a passport issued within fifteen years prior to the date of your new application;
  • You must submit your most recent U.S. passport with your new application;
  • Your previous full validity (10 year) passport must have been issued subsequent to your 16th birthday;

If all conditions are met you can use DS-82


Persons who do not satisfy each of these requirements must apply for a passport in person and use form DS-11 . This would include all first-time applicants and persons seeking to replace lost/stolen/damaged or mutilated passports.

What do I need?

Completed and signed passport application form DS-82. A passport will be issued only in the name in which your previous passport was issued unless the application is accompanied by an original or certified copy of a court order, marriage certificate, adoption decree or divorce decree reflecting the name change. The Swiss Family Book is not acceptable.

  • Your most recent U.S. passport.
  • 1 photograph. Passport photograph requirements are strictly enforced. 
  • The fee for passport renewal by mail is CHF 110.00 to be sent by registered mail.
  • Mail the old passport, completed application form, photograph, self-addressed stamped return envelope plus exact cash passport fee of CHF 110 by registered mail (Eingeschrieben/lettre signature/lettra raccomandato) to:

American Embassy
ACS/Passport Section
3001 Bern

 Telephone 031-357-7011 (between 2 p.m. - 4 p.m.)
 Fax 031-357-7280

How Long Does it Take?

Except in emergencies (death in family, medical treatment in the U.S.), U.S. passports are produced at facilities in the United States. Please take into consideration that this procedure increases processing time when applying for or renewing passports at an Embassy or Consulate, so plan your travel accordingly.

Please allow a minimum of 15 working daysfor the processing of fully documented applications, especially during peak travel periods.  To ensure a quick turnaround, please do your best to fill-out the forms properly and submit usable photos, your previous passport, and the required fee. If there is a question or a problem, we will attempt to reach you immediately.  Expedited service is NOT available at overseas passport offices.

Mailing the New Passport to You

Unless we receive a prepaid stamped envelope from you  (C-5), the Embassy will send your old and new passport to you by 'B' mail, which can take up to 5 days.

Emergency Passports

If you need to travel urgently (for medical reasons, death in the family, replacement of a recently lost or stolen passport), you may apply for an emergency passport in person at the Embassy in Bern by appointment. This passport will be limited in validity and cannot be extended. The stolen passport will be put into a 'look-out' system and you will not be able to use if found again.

Privacy Act Statement

The information solicited on form DS-82 is sought in accordance with U.S. law in order to establish citizenship, identity, and entitlement to issuance of a United States passport and to properly administer and enforce the laws pertaining thereto. The information is made available for routine use on a need-to- know basis to personnel of the Department of State and other government agencies having statutory or other lawful authority to maintain such information in the performance of their official duties. Failure to provide the information requested on this form may result in the denial of a United States passport, related document or service. NOTE: The disclosure of the identity and location of a person to be notified in the event of death or accident is entirely voluntary. If you do not authorize us to inform anyone, we may be unable to provide you with timely assistance or protection in the event of a family emergency.